This section is made for the new students who are coming to XJTU for the first time. It is recommended that you go through this document carefully. It will save you a lot of time.

Before the arrival

Documents needed (IMPORTANT: This list is not complete nor final)

  • Valid passport
  • Passport-sized photos
  • … to be added…

Apps you will need

  • Non-optional
    • WeChat
    • Alipay
    • Map application: Baidu Map OR Amap OR Apple Map (iOS only)
  • Optional
    • Air quality reporting: AQ Forecast, AirVisual
    • Translation: Google Translate (text translation works, image does not), Baidu Translate, Microsoft Translate

First time in XJTU

Before the registration

Yes, going to registration (at the SIE) is not the first thing you should do.

1. Get a SIM card

  • Option 1A: CHINA UNICOM (@Shop): Go to China Unicom service shop with your passport and apply for a sim card. The account must be charged with 200 RMB at the beginning of service. Some of the staff can speak minimum English.
  • Option 1B: CHINA UNICOM (@Dorm): You can find a booth on the ground floor of West 8 and 13 dormitory. You can get your SIM card there as well. They are here espicially for international students.
  • Option 2: CHINA MOBILE: Go to China Mobile shop near ICBC Bank on the campus. (further instruction needed)

2. Residence police verification and registration

For on-campus living: Register at the West 13 dormitory (alternative name: building 25). Also, get your room here.

For off-campus living: On arrival you are meant to report before 24hrs you are meant to register yourself at the nearest police station, because you will need a slip from the police for your registration process.

Temporary hotel stays: The hotel reception should handle the residence registration automatically for you.

3. Get a bank card/open a bank account (ICBC, only the university branch)

Required documents:

  • Passport
  • Phone number

The only approved branch for XJTU foreign student is the ICBC sub branch opposite the Cambridge canteen by the south east gate of the university.

4. Make three photocopies of your documents


Location: SIE Contact your instructor designated on your pre-admission notice.

Resident Permit (RP) application

To apply for resident permit, please see How to apply for resident permit Location: (all RPs) The PSB, (1-year RP only) The west gate police station

Getting a student card

At the initial period just after registration, the new students will be provided a temporally student ID card, this is to enable you eat in school canteen and give you access to doors and gates. One or two weeks later you will be issued the permanent student ID card that will enable you create a net ID and register for your courses and carry out any process that requires ID card.

LOCATION: student card center

… to be updated.

Last Update: February 15th, 2019